This institution is one of the oldest polytechnics in the state, was established in 1923. Originally named as Osmania Central Technical College and located in the Mint Compound at Saifabad.
In 1931, it was renamed as Osmania Technical College.
After India gained independence in 1947, the institutions name was changed to Government Polytechnic in 1954 and technical courses were introduced in three branches of study: Civil, Automobile and Mechanical.
In 1957, a course in the branch of Tele communications (Electronics) was added.
The institution was shifted to the present campus at Masab Tank in the academic year 1960-61.
Subsequently, Diploma in pharmacy was introduced in 1971-72.
Diploma in Computers was introduced in 1986-87.
There are at present seven courses offered. In the first shift seven diploma courses (Automobile, Civil, Computers, Electrical & Electronics, Electronics and Communications,Mechanical and Pharmacy) are being offered, while in the second shift only three diploma programmes (Civil, Computers and Electronics& Communications) are being offered.
Each branch has an intake of 60 students.
This college has 50 highly qualified teaching and 150 non-teaching staff.
An approximate number of 1800 students are on roles of whom nearly 650 students are girls.
The institution has a hostel for boys attached to it. It has nearly 110 rooms accommodating nearly 440 students.
Hostel for girls with a capacity of 80 students in under construction.
There is an active training placement cell helping the students tone up their skills so that they are placed in good organizations.
Being an old institution, it has a very big campus with structures housing the class rooms and labs.
As the institute Is located in the heart of the city like Hyderabad, it has access to many engineering institutions and R&D organizations which is very helpful in providing a bridge between the institute and the industry.